Sunday, March 27, 2005

emails: the life of the mind

>>>> F----,

>>>> Having now read the 4 dunye articles you sent me cites for, I feel compelled to write and ask what's up with your stranger inside article, since it became clear to me while reading these articles that yours is better than all four put together. (ok, it's true I never liked xxxx xxxxxxx anyway, but he's so patronizing!). Anyway, have you sent that somewhere? If not, send it to Callaloo--the best of these 4 articles was in there--I bet they'd publish yours.

. In other news, not much. If we can find a babysitter we may go see a new documentary on Martin and Lyons on monday, which would be fun. Homophiles unite, I always say!

>>>> xoxo

>>>> K

>>>Hey, K---,

>>>Thanks! I sent it to Cinema Journal. Then I lost the acknowledgment letter. So now I don't know what to do about asking them what's up with it. Maybe the letter told me how long to wait before asking. Maybe it gave me a manuscript number to refer to. But I don't know, and my apt. is so chaotic I can't find the letter (I saw it in the vicinity of the desk a couple months ago....). Any suggestions? (I sent it in August or September.)

>>>xo,

>>>f

>> Hey-

>> I'd just write them and ask. The worst that can happen is that they answer and scold you for not citing your number or something...

>> Hey, since I have you on the line (metaphorically) what exactly does diegesis mean? I'm guessing it's the film term for plot-level but I can't really remember...

>> xo

>> K

>Thanks. Will do.....

>And yes. Narratological more generally, but I guess most common re film.

>xo,

>f

>

>OED:

> diegesis, n.

> Add: b. [a. F. diégèse, introduced in this sense by E. Souriau1953, L'Univers Filmique 7.] spec. The narrative presented by a cinematographic film or literary work; the fictional time, place, characters, and events which constitute the universe of the narrative.

> > Sigh. I must say that your speed and eptitude (is that even a word?)with the good uses of the web come closer than anything else I've encountered to persuading me that I should buck up and learn how to do it...maybe over the summer...For now I'm trying to figure out enough about blinds (who cares?) to buy some that will keep my kid from waking up at, literally, dawn's first light. Horridly bourgeois, I know, but my sanity is dependent on not getting woken by her everyday at 6 am.

xo

K

> The only reason I've gotten so speedy and ept is that I waste a huge amount of time browsing around. (Much easier than actual, you know, work.)

>You could get her one of those sleep masks I find so helpful.

>xo,

>f

>

hmmm sleep mask...worth a try. I was considering giving her gin, myself.
Reminds me of a (what I like to think of as) a recent "Ithaca moment":mp went to see her acupuncturist, 
who's also a dyke mom and pal of ours, and was telling her about AL's recent slide into a mini-version
of hothead paisan (tho only at home, thankfully)--hitting, using "mean words", general non-compliance and 
outright defiance at every turn--and the acupucnturist (I am not making this up) said to give her pickles and
greens, because she's having an upper giao or something deficiency.
xoxo
K